Frequently Asked Questions
What Are Your Areas of Expertise?
At The Midtown Practice, our team of dedicated professionals specializes in a range of mental health and wellness services. Our areas of expertise include:
Individual Therapy: Our therapists are skilled in providing individual therapy for adults, children, and teenagers. We offer support and guidance for various mental health concerns, including anxiety, depression, trauma, and more.
Psychopharmacology: Our board-certified psychiatrists are experts in psychopharmacology, offering medication management and treatment for individuals experiencing mental health issues that may benefit from medication.
Therapy and Psychopharmacology for Children and Teens: We provide specialized care for children and adolescents, offering therapy and psychopharmacological interventions tailored to their unique needs.
Couples Therapy: Our experienced couples therapists work with couples to address relationship challenges, improve communication, and strengthen their emotional connections.
Group Therapy: We offer group therapy sessions covering a range of topics, providing individuals with the opportunity to connect, share, and learn from others facing similar challenges.
Corporate Psych Program: Our corporate psychology program focuses on enhancing workplace well-being, leadership development, and team dynamics. We provide valuable insights and strategies to improve workplace culture and employee mental health.
Our multidisciplinary team collaborates to ensure that each client receives the specialized care and support they need to achieve their mental health and wellness goals.
Do You Accept Insurance?
We do not participate directly with insurance. However, we do offer an invoice for out of network benefits, which typically reimburse anywhere from 50-100% after meeting a certain deductible.
Since every insurance plan is different, you may want to call your insurance company directly to ask how much you will be reimbursed for your visit. Below is a guide for the questions to ask your insurance company for the most accurate information:
- Does my plan include out of network benefits?
- What is my deductible, if any? (A deductible is the amount of money you will need to pay before your insurance company will provide you with reimbursement for our services.)
- Depending on the services provided, you can expect to be reimbursed different amounts. Insurance companies use codes to reference specific types of service. Here are the codes we use on your out of network receipts. Depending on the service and the credentials of your therapist or clinician, you will be eligible for a different level of reimbursement.
- Psychotherapy (talk therapy):
- Initial visit: CPT code 90791 for in person and 90791-95 for virtual
- Follow-up visits: CPT code 90834 for in person 90834-95 for virtual
- Psychopharmacology (Medication treatment):
- Initial visits: with our Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner or Psychiatrist: CPT code 90792 in person or 90792-95 for virtual
- Follow-up visits: CPT code 99214 for in person and 99214-95 for virtual
- Combination treatment: (Medication and psychotherapy by one clinician such as our Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner or Psychiatrist):
- Initial visits: 90792 for in person and 90792-95 for virtual visits.
- Follow-up visits: We use TWO codes in order to optimize reimbursement: CPT code 99213 and 90836 for in person or 99213-95 and 90836-95 for virtual appointments
- Couples therapy: CPT code 90847 for in person or 90847-95 for virtual.
- Group Therapy: CPT code 90853-95. We are currently not offering in person groups
- Please make sure to clarify that your treatment will be given by licensed therapists or clinicians such as an LCSW, LCSW-R, PMHNP, or MD.
Where Are Your Therapists/Clinicians Licensed?
The majority of our therapists/clinicians are licensed in NY and NJ. In addition to these, individual therapists/clinicians are licensed in states such as CT, NC, CA, and FL. When you inquire, please ask us if we can accommodate your state of residency.
What Can I Expect From My First Appointment?
Prior to your first appointment, our Clinical Coordinator, Alli Malamut, will talk with you to gain a basic understanding of your current needs and goals. Her goal is to select a therapist/clinician for you that matches your psychological and/or psychiatric needs, preferred style and temperament.
At your first visit, you will be asked about the nature of the current difficulties as well as your personal, family, and medical history. We will make every effort to understand what you are feeling, and identify what you value most, and what is getting in the way of your progress and life satisfaction.
We are interested in learning about your goals and hopes, and you will have time to ask any questions you may have. Towards the end of the appointment, you and your therapist/clinician will formulate a plan for future treatment, and you will have a chance to collaborate to ensure your treatment is headed in a direction that feels appropriate, convenient, and workable with your life circumstances.
How Often Will I Need To See My Therapist/Clinician?
This will depend on your preference and your providers recommendation, as well as scheduling and availability. Medication visits usually last 30 minutes. Depending on how stable your regimen and dose are, follow-up can be once a month to once every three months.
The length of your treatment will be up to you, based on your issues and goals. In order to ensure that your treatment remains productive, from time to time you and your clinician will check in with each other in order to make sure that treatment remains focused on your goals and continues to help you move forward.
When Are Your Clinicians/Therapists Available?
Our therapists/clinicians have availability for both in person and virtual visits. Availability varies, depending on the therapist/clinician, but we do our best to accommodate you expeditiously within the same week of your request. Our therapists/clinicians see patients Monday-Sunday with daytime and evening hours, depending on the therapist/clinician.
Are There Issues You Don't Treat?
At TMP we do not offer emergency treatment. If you need immediate care, you might consider accessing an emergency room or other crisis center.
While our therapists/clinicians have expertise in working with individuals on a wide range of issues including difficulties with substance use, we don’t provide specialized treatment focused on alcohol or drug addiction.
How Do I Get Started?
Simply call us at (212) 286-8801 or fill out the contact form below.
Get Started Today
We’re pleased you are here, and we’re committed to finding the right person to help you with your mental health.
Step 1: Connect
Finding the right person to help can seem challenging, which is why we offer multiple ways to connect with us. You can schedule a complimentary 15-minute consultation with our highly trained Clinical Coordinator, Alli Malamut, by either:
- Calling or texting us at: 212-286-8801
- Email us at: email@example.com
- By completing the form to the left.
If you do not reach us directly, you can expect to hear back from us the same day or within one business day.
Step 2: Get Matched
In order to find you an ideal fitting clinician or therapist, our Clinical Coordinator will want to learn more about you. Specifically, it would be helpful to hear about your concerns, personal preferences, and any relevant logistical matters (for example, in-person or video sessions? best time or day to meet?) During this call, please feel free to ask us any questions as well!
Please feel free to share with us if you have already identified someone you would like to work with from our Our Team page.
Step 3: Check the fit
Connect with the clinician or therapist you are matched with to ask questions, share history, and make sure you feel comfortable about moving forward. If so, book your first session. If it does not feel right, circle back with us.
Step 4: Get started
Schedule time to meet with your new clinician or therapist and work towards living a more fulfilling life!
Over the years, we’ve found our thoughtful matching process is the surest way to find you an ideal clinician or therapist and achieve the best outcome for you.